The Town of Waitsfield's application to the Vermont Downtown Board for Village Center Designation was approved on June 24, 2019. This approval will need to be renewed in eight years.
Village center designation was created by the legislature as a outgrowth of the successful Downtown Program to recognize and encourage local efforts to revitalize Vermont’s traditional village centers. It is one of many tools available to help improve Waitsfield's vitality and livability and focuses on supporting commercial activity in the village center.
The boundary largely coincides with Waitsfield's Village Residential and Village Business zoning districts and includes the Waitsfield Village National Register Historic District.
Tax Credit Benefits
10% Historic Tax Credits
- Available as an add-on to approved Federal Historic Tax Credit projects.
- Eligible costs include interior and exterior improvements, code compliance, plumbing and electrical upgrades.
25% Historic Tax Credits
- Eligible facade work up to $25,000.
50% Code Improvement Tax Credits
- Available for up to $50,000 each for sprinkler systems; up to $75,000 for elevators; and $12,000 for lifts.
- Eligible code work includes ADA modifications, electrical, fire safety, or plumbing up to $50,000.
Priority Consideration for Grant Programs - The State's Municipal Planning Grant Program and Consolidated Plan for HUD funding, incuding the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program will give designated village centers a priority consideration for all grants.
Priority Consideration for BGS - The State Department of Buildings and General Services will give consideration and priority to designated village center locations when leasing or constructing buildings, in consultation with the community.
Neighborhood Development Area-
Communities may also designate Neighborhood Development Areas within 1/4 mile from the designated village
center. Qualified projects are:
- Exempt from Act 250 regulations for Priority Housing Projects and projects not qualifying for the exemption receive a 50% discount on application fees.
- Exemption from the land gains tax for housing units sold.
- Eligible for reduced state permit fees.
Waitsfield Village Center Application
Vermont Downtown Program
Vermont Agency of Commerce & Community Development
Community Planning + Revitalization
Vermont Department of Housing and Community Development
1 National Life Drive, Davis Bldg, 6th Floor | Montpelier, VT 05620-0501
Phone: (802) 828-5229
E-mail: [email protected]t.gov