The Town Clerk plays a central role in the operation of muncipal government. The Town Clerk's statutory duties range from recording, preserving, and certifying public documents to administering oaths of office, voter registration, complying with public information requests, posting notices, preparing for and officiating over all elections including Town Meeting, maintaining the grand list, issuing marriage licenses and certified copies of birth, death and marriage certificates, and licensing animals. The Town Clerk also records deeds related to real estate and private property transactions and files vital statistics information records relating to town business. In addition to receiving, recording and issuing all of these documents, the Town Clerk is responsible for the maintenance, indexing, and storage of all of these records as required by State law.
Additional facts about the office of theTown Clerk:
- On March 4, 2008, Waitsfield voters supported the change of the Town Clerk's term being one year to three years, per 17 VSA §2646(2).
- The Town Clerk is an independently elected official, answerable only to the electorate. He or she may set the Town Clerk's office hours and may appoint one or more Assistant clerks who serve at the clerk's pleasure. 24 V.S.A. § 1170. Files and records maintained by the clerk must be available for public inspection upon proper request at all reasonable hours. 24 V.S.A. § 1165.
- The Town Clerk is a voting member of the Board of Civil Authority and certifies the grand list. 17 V.S.A. § 2103(5); 24 V.S.A. § 801; 32 V.S.A. § 4151(c)
- The Town Clerk has the authority to administer oaths in all cases in which an oath is required. 24 V.S.A. § 1160. The Town Clerk and Assistant Town Clerk are ex officio notaries public. 24 V.S.A. § 441(b).
- The Town Clerk may appoint at least one Assistant Town Clerk who holds office during the term of the Town Clerk or until such appointment is revoked by the Town Clerk. 24 V.S.A. §1170. The Assistant Town Clerk is authorized to perform the recording and filing duties of the Town Clerk and to issue licenses and certified copies of records. In the absence, death, or disability of the Town Clerk, the Assistant Town Clerk is authorized to perform all other duties of the Town Clerk. 24 V.S.A. § 1171.
- The Town Cerk issues dog licenses, marriage licenses, fish and game licenses (if he or she wishes), and any other municipal license that might be required. 10 V.S.A. § 4254 (e)(1); 18 V.S.A. § 5131; 20 V.S.A. § 3581.
- The commissioner of the Department of Motor Vehicles may authorize the Town Clerk to renew motor vehicle, snowmobile, or motorboat registrations. 23 V.S.A. § 6.
Office Hours: Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m, Friday 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Waitsfield Town Office
4144 Main Street
Waitsfield, VT 05673
Phone: (802) 496-2218 ext. 2