The Waitsfield Water Commission is holding a public hearing on proposed changes to the Water Ordinance on Thursday, October 18th, at 5:30 p.m. in the conference room at the Waitsfield Town Offices. A copy of the proposed ordinance, showing the changes highlighted in yellow, is below.
The proposed changes to the ordinance include, but may not be limited to:
- Appointment of commissioners to require that at least two commission members are property owners or renters inside the service area.
- Allocation plan based on Town planning objectives, provide for preliminary and final allocations, and provide for a designated authority (such as staff) to approve smaller allocation requests.
- Service applications to include application for allocation as well as connection.
- Connection fees amended to reflect fee reduction with a charge for the meter and remote meter reader.
- A section for disconnection; included for clarification.
- Sections on steam thawing, construction phase, and seasonal shutoffs.
- Section on tax sale and liens on real property added based on legal review.
- Clarification of requirement for backflow prevention and annual inspection of fire suppression systems.
- Language enabling the Water Commission to fund capital reserves dedicated to servicing debt, anticipated and emergency water system repairs, and replacements.
- Miscellaneous copy edits for clarity, consistency, and accuracy.
- Clarifications and expanded language in multiple sections.
Proposed changes to the ordinance do not take effect until 60 days have passed from when the Selectboard acts; the Water Commission’s public hearing is part of the process to refer the proposed changes to the Selectboard for potential action. Please contact the Water Commission ([email protected]) or the Town Administrator’s office ([email protected]; 496-2218, ext. 5) with questions.